Congratulations on completing the first quarter of the 2015-2016 school year! It has been a quarter of change and successes at Hilburn as we have welcomed new teachers and students, learned from the BetaBox and arts assemblies, shared STEAM projects and enjoyed the Fall Carnival. Report Cards will come home with students this Friday, October 30th, and we have a lot to look forward to in November. Our middle-school students will be performing Gretchen and the Grudge on November 5 and 6. Please join us at 6:30 and support our drama program. Elementary conferences will be scheduled the week of November 9, and we will host a middle-school dance on Friday, November 13th.
4 Cs: This week’s focus is Creative Thinking. Students who are creative thinkers demonstrate innovative problem-solving skills, designing unique ideas, and take intellectual risks, overcoming challenges and failures. You can help our students, K-8, strengthen their critical thinking abilities at home by doing the following:
- Explaining a problem or challenge in a way that invites multiple solutions
- Encouraging your student’s unique approach to a problem
- Creating opportunities for your student to produce original and/or feasible products
- Encouraging your student to apply knowledge in a new way
- Challenging conventions
- Encouraging students to use common materials in a new way
- Responding to failure as an opportunity to learn and get better
I look forward to a great week and an outstanding second quarter.