Thank you to everyone who supported a fantastic student production of The Wizard of Oz. Our students and staff have been working on this performance for four months, and it was worth every minute they spent. We were excited to host our first production in an official auditorium, and doing so certainly showcased our students’ and directors’ talents. A special thank you to Mr. Hurley and Mrs. Freeze for the opportunities they create for our students to experience success and fun through theater.
Art Shows: Ms. Rayner has two art shows in February and March.
- This February and March, the Hilburn Drive State Employees’ Credit Union will host Hilburn Academy for its annual art show. The showcased artwork is the Second Grade’s Printmaking Artwork, the Third Grade’s Aboriginal Artwork and the Fourth Grade’s NC Farm to School. If a student has a piece of artwork in the show, Mrs. Rayner will send a note home with that student to inform the family their work is there.
- Brandon Hernandez will represent Hilburn Academy at the Gifts of Gold Visual Arts Display in March. The display is held annually in conjunction with Pieces of Gold, a performing arts extravaganza that will be held on March 8th. Brandon’s work will be displayed on March 7th and 8th in the lobby of Memorial Auditorium with a recognition ceremony on March 7th @ 4:30 pm.
Character Education: We are proud to highlight students who exhibit our monthly character trait, and in January, we recognized students who demonstrate self-discipline by showing self-motivation, by demonstrating follow through and by doing what is right.
- Pre-K: Sophia Dod
- Kindergarten: Kenzie Bradley, Keeton Byrd, Garrett Thompson and Joy Ye
- First Grade: Kieran Johnston, Asante Jones, Courtney Moyer and Blake Sharp
- Second Grade: Giovanni Coleman, Daniel Lopez, Torry Scott and Jonothon Javier Uribe
- Third Grade: Ilana Kirby, Emma Lara Vasquez, Rebecca Lindsay and Adharshanah Santhosh
- Fourth Grade: Bailey Altizer, Eleanor Flora, Bella Livingston-Motalvo and Angelina Wise
- Fifth Grade: Mischa Diffley, Emerson Hayes, Ben Hood and Joel Palmer-Hayes
- Sixth Grade: Shariyah Bass, Sophia Lopez, Wesley Tackett and Ana Vargas Martinez
- Seventh Grade: Jonathan Anagnostopoulos, Lenny Colmenero, Gabriel Musungu and Adora Ruschman
- Eighth Grade: Nigel Gibson, Mac Haney, Nathan Henshall and Emma Steiner
Love the Bus: February is the month the American School Bus Council recognizes bus drivers across the nation. If your student rides a bus to or from school, please encourage him/her to express his thanks for the work these individuals do to support teaching and learning at Hilburn and in Wake County.
Student Services: This week is National School Counseling Week. Please join me in thanking Ms. Daley and Mrs. Warren for their dedication to our students and students’ growth and success. Ms. Daley and Mrs. Warren also developed a flyer to provide information about how they serve our students.
WCPSS All Aboard Sessions: Leaders in WCPSS Central Services have vetted 3-8 English Language Arts and Math 1, 2 and 3 curriculum resources and now invites community feedback. If you would like to participate in a community feedback session, please access this link.
- Friday - February 10: Early-Release 12:30
- Monday - February 20: Make-Up Day (A-Day)
Katherine White, Principal