Congratulations to all of our third through eighth-grade students! They have completed their EOGs and EOCs and did their best. We thank you for working with us to ensure students felt calm and confident as they completed their assessments this week. We also thank all of the parent and grandparent proctors who supported us this week. It is impossible to ensure secure testing settings without your support. Thank you!
We also want to congratulate eighth-grade student, Kellen Hileman. Kellen competed in the Odyssey of the Mind World Finals in Michigan, where 850 teams and 15 countries were represented. His team competed against high-school teams to win sixth place in the world. This is quite an accomplishment for Kellen and his team.
2017-2018 Elementary Teacher Notification: We will be making changes to the way we communicate elementary students’ teachers this August. We will be sending letters home in the mail to let each family know students’ assigned teachers. Letters will be mailed in the middle of August, and our August Meet the Teacher will be both Meet the Teacher and Curriculum Night.
Carpoolers and Walkers: The Community Manager of Hilburn Townhomes on Vienna Crest Drive has contacted me to let me know parents are parking in their parking spaces during arrival and dismissal to walk students to campus. Vienna Crest Drive is a private street, and Hilburn Academy policy is that all carpoolers are in the carpool line and all walkers walk between home and school. Hilburn Townhomes is hiring a towing company to address their concerns related to our arrival and dismissal. Please be advised.
Character Education: In May, students were acknowledged for demonstrating perseverance. These are students who continue to strive for their best even when tasks are hard. These students were also acknowledged because they fail forward, meaning they continue to try and to learn from their failures.
- Pre-K: Isabella Suarez
- Kindergarten: Mason Beaird, Caroline Cook, Emir Correo-Romero, Ava Jahanbakhsh and Lolly Njie
- First Grade: Caitlin Edwards, Ella Hoppen, Arisha Khan and Amari Strickland
- Second Grade: Kalyyra Justice, Emil Moronta-Peralta, Megan Rivera and Grace Trabulsi
- Third Grade: Ashley Bahr Monrroy, Jaidon Fenty, Judith Oram, Charlie White and Hannah Williams
- Fourth Grade: Avegail Evans, Henry Hawkins, Zakayla Richardson and Brady Sharp
- Fifth Grade: Abby Cooper, Christopher Hernandez-Valle and AnGrace Seale
- Sixth Grade: Lauryn Allgood, Chaison Peyton, Errycia Wiggins and Jack Wise
- Seventh Grade: Lenny Colmenero, Kyan Doody, Leanna Estanislau and Kaitlyn Wunning
- Eighth Grade: Ruthie Hopkins, Mikhail Jefferys, Landon Livingston and Claire Southern
Departing Staff Members: I want to acknowledge the staff members who will be leaving Hilburn at the end of this year and let you know where they are headed. I am proud to say that all of our departing staff members are continuing work or study in education. Please join me in celebrating their contributions to our awesome learning community.
- Jennifer Blackburn, Fifth-Grade Science Teacher, will be starting a Master Program in Special Education Analytics at Penn State.
- Kristin Burnette, ID Mod II Teacher, will be starting a PhD in Special Education at UNC-G.
- Jimmy Cucurullo, Fourth-Grade Teacher, will be starting a Master Program in School Administration at UNC-W.
- Renee DeGeorge, K-2 Literacy Coach, will be taking a year off to stay home with her children.
- Iris Gomez, Spanish Teacher, will be going to Green Elementary to teach Spanish.
- Sara Stewart, ID Mod II Teacher Assistant, will be moving to Washington DC to pursue an ID Mod teaching position.
- Alexis Wengler, Second-Grade Teacher, will be completing a full-time school administrator internship at Washington Elementary.
Elementary Spanish: We are making changes to our elementary Spanish program in the 2017-2018 school year. Only our fourth and fifth-grade students will continue to have Spanish as a Special; Mrs. Altman, our middle-school Spanish teacher will teach these classes.
Medication: If you have a child who has medicine at Hilburn, be sure to pick up your child’s medicine by this Friday, June 9th.
Katherine White, Principal