Welcome back and happy 2016! I hope each of you enjoyed the time you spent with your children over the winter vacation and is looking forward to getting back in the Hilburn routine today. We have ten school days until the end of second quarter and first semester. Let’s help our students finish strong and get 2016 off to a great start. As we return to school, I also want to share a few reminders and updates:
- We hosted our annual Spelling Bee on Friday, December 18th, and our winner was Arnav Shah, a fourth-grader in Ms. Yonta’s homeroom. Congratulations, Arnav!
- We have a large number of walkers headed up Hilburn Drive at the end of each school day, and it has recently been reported to RPD that many of our walkers do not feel safe. Carpool drivers must respect the safety of these children. We ask that you follow traffic patterns rather than making U-turns on Hilburn Drive or in nearby complexes.
- Starting today, carpool drivers will be allowed to turn left in the morning and in the afternoon starting at 3:15. We hope this change will alleviate some of the issues reported and streamline our process.
- Starting today, middle-school teachers will retain laptops in their classrooms, meaning middle-school students are no longer responsible for carrying an assigned laptop from class to class. This decision was made by the middle-school team and will, hopefully, alleviate student stress and loss of class time as teachers can have the laptops ready to go throughout the day.
- Our Leadership Team determined staff should address all e-mail communication within two school days. This policy has been shared with all staff, and all families should expect communication within that time frame.
- The front door is now locked at 3:30 each day. If you are visiting the school after 3:30, please know you will have to ring the bell and wait for a Hilburn staff member to open the door. This change is in our staff members’ and Aftercare students’ best interests, and we appreciate your understanding.
Hilburn Academy will host its Open House this Wednesday, January 6th, at 5:00. Fifth-Grade Parents, please join us Wednesday evening to check out our middle-school programming. Looking ahead, our K-2 (correction K-1) choral performance is next Thursday, January 14th, at 6:30, and next Friday, January 15th, is an early-release day. Students will also be out of school on January 18th and 19th for the Martin Luther King holiday and a teacher workday.
Wishing all of us a great week back,