Welcome back! I hope each of your families had a warm and restful winter vacation and you and your students are ready to kick off 2017 with energy and excitement at Hilburn.
Literacy Assessments: Our kindergarten through fourth-grade students will be taking their middle-of-the-year mCLASS assessments starting this week. Students’ assessment information will be provided to you with their second-quarter report cards.
Middle-School Healthful Living: We are excited that Ms. Tart will be rejoining us next Wednesday, January 11th. Mr. Hernandez was able to get a full-time position teaching Healthful Living, and we wish him well. Ms. Erica Brownlow, a certified Healthful Living teacher and a basketball coach at Sanderson High School, will be joining our team today until Ms. Tart’s return.
Prospective Student Open House: We will host an open house for prospective elementary and middle-school students on Wednesday, January 11th, from 5:30 to 7:00. Fifth-Grade Families, we invite you to join us to check out our middle-school core programming, elective offerings, clubs and teachers.
Student Assignment: Student Assignment will be issuing 2017-2018 Assignment Strips to students this week. At this time, it is our understanding that all current Transfer students will be assigned to Hilburn for the 2017-2018 school year; however, if you have a Transfer student not assigned to Hilburn, you are eligible to submit an online application during the Early Transfer Application Period from February 22-28 if your request is based on one of the three reasons below. Please note all transfer families will be responsible for providing their own transportation and be aware that the Early Transfer Application Period is the only time the following requests will be approved. http://www.wcpss.net/Page/276
- Current School (“Grandfather”) Request: Families may request to remain at their current school or be grandfathered.
- Sibling Request: Families may request for an entering grade student to be assigned to a school where a sibling attends and will continue to attend for the 2017-18 school year.
- Sibling Grandfather Request: Families may request for a sibling to be assigned to a school where an older sibling is also eligible to "grandfather" as a result of a Board of Education approved assignment change.
If you once lived in Hilburn’s base and have moved out of base, you will not be assigned to Hilburn for the 2017-2018 school year, and you will be eligible to apply for a transfer back to Hilburn in May.
Upcoming Events: Please note these important upcoming dates.
- Wednesday - January 11th: Prospective Student Open House (5:30-7:00)
- Monday - January 16th: Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday, no school for staff or students
- Friday - January 20th: Early Release at 12:30
- Tuesday - January 24th: End of Second Quarter
- Friday - January 27th: Teacher Workday
- Friday - February 3rd: Report Card Distribution
Katherine White, Principal