It is hard to believe we are down to just thirteen days in the 2015-2016 school year. Let’s all support our students as they complete end-of-year assessments and enjoy their last days in their respective classrooms.
We have some exciting news. Our middle-school counselor, Mrs. Jenna Warren, was named Wake County’s 2016 Counselor of the Year last Thursday! Mrs. Warren was recognized for her comprehensive programming, which includes guidance lessons for all middle-school students, co-instruction and partnerships with teachers and, of course, individual and small-group support of our students. As the WCPSS nominee, Mrs. Warren will go on to compete at the state level for NC School Counselor of the Year. We are proud of Mrs. Warren and very excited for her!
Our kindergarten, first and second graders will finish assessing this week, and EOGs begin for third through eighth graders this Thursday, May 26. As you help your students prepare for EOGs, it is important to help them feel rested and relaxed. Students have prepared all year for their assessments and should be encouraged to eat healthy dinners, to go to bed early and to avoid studying or worrying in any way. There is research that shows a protein-rich breakfast helps students perform, and if at all possible, carbohydrates should be avoided. Remember that Hilburn will be providing all students breakfast this Thursday, May 26, and Friday, May 27. Please locate the basic EOG schedule here to see when your student is testing.
We will host our Volunteer Appreciation Breakfast on Friday, June 3rd at8:30 and hope many of you will be able to attend. Other important dates include the following:
- Thursday, May 26: Family Night Out at Backyard Burgers
- Thursday, May 26 thru Wednesday, June 1: EOGs
- Monday, May 30: Memorial Day Holiday – No School
- Friday, June 3: Volunteer Appreciation Breakfast @ 8:30
- June 4: 8th Grade Dance - Sponsored by PTA
- June 7: Elementary Dance - Sponsored by PTA
- June 8: Q4 Academic Awards Assemblies, 8:30, 9:45, 10:45
- June 9: 8th & 5th Grade Promotion Ceremonies; Last Day of School