The staff at Hilburn Academy wishes each of you a wonderful winter vacation and holiday season. May this time with your students and family be filled with happiness and joy as we look forward to 2017.
Student Assignment: Our most important news is related to the 2017-2018 school year. Student Assignment will be issuing 2017-2018 Assignment Strips to students when we return from winter vacation. At this time, it is our understanding that all current Transfer students will be assigned to Hilburn for the 2017-2018 school year; however, if you are not assigned to Hilburn, you are eligible to submit an online application during the Early Transfer Application Period from February 22-28 if your request is based on one of the three reasons below. Please note all transfer families will be responsible for providing their own transportation and be aware that the Early Transfer Application Period is the only time the following requests will be approved.
- Current School (“Grandfather”) Request: Families may request to remain at their current school or be grandfathered.
- Sibling Request: Families may request for an entering grade student to be assigned to a school where a sibling attends and will continue to attend for the 2017-18 school year.
- Sibling Grandfather Request: Families may request for a sibling to be assigned to a school where an older sibling is also eligible to "grandfather" as a result of a Board of Education approved assignment change.
Annual Asbestos Notification: The district is required to notify all staff and students annually regarding asbestos inspections and updates. Please review this document to access this information.
Carpool: It has come to our attention that we have families parking and then picking up students as walkers. Remember that Wake County policy requires students identified as walkers to be within 1.5 miles of the school and to walk home if picked up as a walker.
Prospective Student Open House: We will host an open house for prospective elementary and middle-school students on Wednesday, January 11th, from 5:30 to 7:00. Fifth-Grade Families, we invite you to join us to check out our middle-school core programming, elective offerings, clubs and teachers.
Upcoming Events: Please note these important upcoming dates.
- Thursday - December 22nd: Teacher Workday, no school for students
- Friday - December 23rd – Monday, January 2nd: Winter Break
- Wednesday - January 11th: Prospective Student Open House (5:30-7:00)
- Monday - January 16th: Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday, no school for staff or students
- Friday - January 20th: Early Release at 12:30
- Tuesday - January 24th: End of Second Quarter
- Friday - January 27th: Teacher Workday
Katherine White, Principal