Hilburn Academy is a proud twenty-first century STEAM school. Please check out our latest recognition on ABC11 and congratulations to our middle-school students, Ms. Bass and Ms. Stavros for their work on this toy-hacking project.
We want to congratulate our students who participated in the 2017 Duke University Talent Identification Program. Lucy Grindstaff qualified for grand recognition for scoring at or better than 90% of recent high-school graduates on the SAT. Only 3% of participants qualify for this recognition. Colin Gillespie, Benjamin Hood, Emma Julian, Reese Phillips, Matthew Southern, and Milo Wegmann scored at or above the 95th percentile on a standardized achievement or aptitude test.
2017-2018 Transportation: WCPSS Transportation is preparing for the 2017-18 school year. Postcards will be mailed to families of current bus riders starting this week; these cards will communicate the following:
- If your (transportation eligible) child will be riding the bus from the same address to the same school next year, you do not need to take action. If you need to update your bus service, please go online at www.wcpss.net/busrider.
- You can find up-to-date transportation information in your student’s Home Base/PowerSchool account.
- For 2017-18, WCPSS Transportation will begin using email and text messaging to provide bus service information. Families must keep their email addresses and phone numbers current in PowerSchool to receive timely and important information.
- As of May 15, Transportation will begin receiving, via the web, requests from transportation eligible families for the 2017-18 school year.
- Any transportation eligible family who needs to make a change for 2017-18 is requested to meet a July 24 deadline to ensure service on the first day of school.
Elementary Music: Congratulations to Mrs. Grovenstein! She delivered a healthy baby girl on Friday and is now on maternity leave for the remainder of the school year. Mrs. Malea Thompson, who is a regular substitute at Hilburn Academy, will serve our students in this capacity for the remainder of the school year.
Next Year: If your family is not returning to Hilburn next year, please communicate with Mrs. Sturdivant so that we have accurate information to plan for the 2017-2018 school year.
Testing: Please see our testing calendar to help prepare your child. We still need proctors, so please, please sign up at this link. Remember, too, that Child Nutrition Services will serve breakfast to all students on Tuesday, May 30.
Why I Teach: This week, we recognize Ms. Jen Badalamenti, our AIG teacher, and if you would like to read what other teachers have written, please view our website.
Katherine White, Principal